EE 352 - Objectives
The objective of EE 352 is to have the student design and build an
interface card for the IBM Personal Computer, and to program that card in
the C language using the Linux operating system.
To accomplish this, the student will:
- Learn about the Intel 80386 family of microprocessors.
- Learn about the PC ISA (Industry Standard Architecture) bus.
- Learn basic C language programming, especially topics relevant to talking
with computer hardware.
- Learn enough about the computer hardware and Linux
to be able to use interrupts on the PC.
This will be a project-driven course. A tentative outline of the
projects will be as follows:
- Learn to communicate with the PC parallel port using the C.
- Design and simulate a PC bus interface using a PLD.
- Write an interrupt-driven data-transfer program for the PC parallel port.
- Design and build a ISA interface card to perform a more complicated
function. Possible functions are A/D or D/A conversion, event timing, or
other function agreed to by the instructor.