EE 352 Project 1
Parallel Port Communications
Set up a hardware and software protocol for communicating
between two computers using their bi-directional parallel ports. One computer
will be designated as the sending computer; the other as the receiving
computer. Use the eight data lines to send the data; use the control and
status lines for handshaking.
- Decide on a handshaking protocol.
- Wire a cable to implement your protocol.
- Write a program to transmit and receive data over the parallel port.
- If a filename is specified by the sending computer, send that file to
the receiving computer. The receiving computer should create a file with the
same file name.
- If no filename is specified, send anything from the standard
input to the receiving computer. Decide on a method to name the file on the
Turn in the following:
- A diagram of how you wired your cable.
- A diagram and explanation of you handshaking protocol.
- The sending and receiving programs.
- Some indication that the projects worked.