EE 352 Fall 2009
The objective of EE 352 is to have the student design and build an
interface card for the IBM Personal Computer, and to program that card in
the C language using the Linux operating system.
To accomplish this, the student will:
- Learn about the Intel 80386 family of microprocessors.
- Learn about the PC ISA (Industry Standard Architecture) bus.
- Learn basic C language programming, especially topics relevant to talking
with computer hardware.
- Learn how to write a simple interrupt-driven Linux device driver.
This will be a project-driven course. A tentative outline of the
projects will be as follows:
- Learn to communicate with the PC parallel port using the C.
- Design and simulate a PC bus interface using a PLD.
- Write an interrupt-driven data-transfer program for the PC parallel port.
- Design and build an ISA interface card to perform a more complicated
function. Possible functions are A/D or D/A conversion, event timing, or
other function agreed to by the instructor.