Conceptual Design Presentation
Time/Date/Place: 02:00pm on Tu 02/24 in MSEC 101
The conceptual design presentation is to convey the
general type of your "design in progress" to your colleagues
for an assessment. The goals of the presentation
- convey and validate your understanding of the problem,
- show alternative conceptual designs, and
- justify selection of your conceptual design.
The ultimate goal is to agree on a general concept, so the
detailed design can be started.
- 15-18 minutes in length, 20 minutes total with questions;
- all team members are expected to speak;
- order will be teams 1 through 5;
- a TCC computer and projector are available in the room;
- assume your audience is technically knowledgeable, but not aware
of the design problem on which you are working;
- present at least three viable conceptual designs giving
pros and cons of each;
- dress will be business casual;
- suggested outline:
- Title Slide that identifies the project and
- Overview Slide that shows the general outline
and direction of the presentation.
- General Description of the project at a level anyone
- Problem Statement including a summary of initial
statement given by the client and how it changed.
- Background Material including relevant prior work,
challenges, and other material gathered through research.
- Functions Design must Perform focusing on basic
functions (potentially as a block diagram).
- Design Alternatives considered to achieve
- Selected Design explaining what it is, why it
was chosen, aspects that make it superior to other alternatives,
and novel features.
- Project Plan including hilights of deliverables,
tasks, schedule, members' responsibilities, budget
- Conclusion briefly summarizing presentation
with future work (next steps).
- Backup Slides with details not appropriate for
presentation, but useful as backup or in a handout
such as detailed gantt charts, budgets, diagrams, etc.