Due: Tu 02/17
- Read through the codes of ethics for
- In general, do the codes emphasize the same conduct?
- Are there differences in the codes in terms of valuing
certain kinds of behavior or styles of language?
- If differences exist, can they be attributed to the
missions of the societies?
- Pick three guidelines from either code of ethics that
you feel are relevent to the class's design project.
How will they influence your design and the process
- There is discussion on whether manufacturers of cell phones
and audio players should limit the volume of those devices
to prevent loss of hearing. See this
discussion, for example.
- What are the regulations for volume levels in
various parts of the world?
- Typically, volume levels are given in dB. What is dB,
and at what levels of exposure does damage to hearing
occur? Do the regulations seem to be based upon
- Should designers of audio devices consider potential
damage to hearing?
- What should the designer do if he or she feels
that the regulations are not strict enough, and if
followed could cause damage to hearing?
- Who are the parties affected by the decision
to limit volume and how are they affected?
- If new regulations are pending, should you
consider those in your design?
- If new regulations are put into place, should
you retrofit your device if not required to do so?
- Shoot for four pages or less with this assignment.