EE382: Introduction to Design
Spring 2002 Schedule: TR 2:00pm-5:00pm in Workman
- Design and build a golfing robot capable of locating a golf ball given GPS
coordinates, transporting the golf ball, and placing the golf ball into
a hole with given GPS coordinates. Emphasis will be placed on
the sequence of events leading from an idea to a finished product
and consideration of a variety of solutions before choosing a
- Develop teaming skills, oral and written communication skills, and ability
to decompose a large problem into interconnected subsystems.
- In-depth knowledge of the MC68HC12 microcontroller.
- Analog and digital circuit design.
- Principles of linear time-invariant systems.
- Proficiency in C programming.
Reference Texts: see
- Robots will be constructed by five teams working together. Robot subsystems
tasked to each group include ball and hole/flag location, smart chassis, robot location,
robot navigation, and remote station communication.
- Each subsystem will have "smarts" (i.e., a programmable device),
communication with other subsystems, and additional I/O device(s) as needed.
- Each group will provide HC12 evaluation board, multimeter, logic probe,
wire strippers, proto-board, and other basic tools (e.g., screwdrivers,