OPT 300 Spring 2007
Course book: Warren J. Smith: Modern Optical Engineering. The Design of
Optical Systems, 3rd edition, McGraw-Hill. (You can order this book
from www.amazon.com for $70.36).
You can obtain OSLO in one of two ways
- Homework 1: Due January 30. Chapter 1: problems 1-6. Solution
- Homework 2: Due February 9. Perfect lens problem per e-mail. Solution
- Homework 3: Due February 13. Chapter 2: problems 1-11,
derive equations 2.45, 2.46a, and 2.46b. Solution
- Homework 4: Due February 20. Chapter 3: problems 1-4, show
that second order terms in the Seidel polynomials are zero, and which
third order terms contribute to x' and y'. In problem 2 you are
welcome to plot many more rays than the number stated. Solution
- Homework 5: Due February 27.
- Complete OSLO tutorials.
- Calculate longitudinal astigmatism and curvature.
- Explain how a bicycle wheel is focused when there is astigmatism.
- Homework 6: Due March 22.
- Chapter 5: problems 1-6.
- Devise and carry out an experiment to measure the size/shape and
location of your blind spot (in degrees from some reference point in
your field of view). You may find this website useful http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/blindspot/. Sketch
the experimental setup, state all measured quantities, assumptions,
derviations, and calculations. Comment on its size.
- Homework 7: Due April 3. Chapter 6: problems 1-14. Solution
- Homework 8: Due April 10. Chapter 7: problems 1-5. Solution
- Homework 9: Due April 24. Chapter 9: problems 1-5, 8, 9
(i.e. skip 6, 7). Solution
- January 16: Course Overview
- January 23: Chapter 1: General principles
- January 30: Chapter 2: Image formation
- February 6: Chapter 2: Image formation (continued)
- February 13: Chapter 3: Aberrations.
- February 20: More discussion of aberrations, Chapter 4: prisms and mirrors.
- February 27: Finish Chapter 4, begin Chapter 5: The eye.
- March 6: Chapter 5: The eye.
- March 13: spring break
- March 20: Chapter 6: Stops and apertures
- March 27: Chapter 6: Stops and apertures
- April 3: Chapter 7: Optical materials and Interference Coatings
- April 10: Homework review
- April 17: Chapter 9: Basic optical devices.
- April 24: Chapter 11: Image evaluation
- May 1: Review